Tuesday, 17 March 2009

Diddley, diddley, dee - It's Paddy's day!!!

After we got the news last Wednesday that we were having to come back we said that we were going to party harder than we had already...... We are starting!!!!

We started sedately on Saturday with a trip to Paddington Market (we had to after the amount of alcohol we consumed on Friday night!!) Although Saturday started quietly it didn't finish that way, we'd been invited to a couple of friends place, they said 'come round and we'll have a couple of drinks'.... When we got there at about 7:20pm there was a party in full swing, luckily we had taken a couple of packs of our favourite tipple.

Apparently someone was leaving Sydney so there food and a cake saying goodbye on it!!! Well , me being me, thought how nice a surprise party for us, it was just when I was about to start kissing and hugging everyone we realised it was for a little Irish guy called Shaun!! Lucky escape!!!

Sunday was the St Paddy's Day parade and celebrations were being thrown in Hyde Park.... We thought that we would check it out.... I have never seen so many Irish in one place (you have to bear in mind that I went to visit Simon in Dublin last year but there still seemed to be more Irish here than in Dublin) If you shouted Seamus 80% of the crowed turned and looked... We had 6 foot cans of Guinness walking up the street followed by Leprechauns, Irish dancers, a man in a coffin strapped to the back of a float (God only knows why)!!

So after the parade we went into Hyde Park, can you believe it that most events in Sydney are BYO (Bring your Own alcohol) but St Paddy's day wasn't.... It was so funny seeing the security guards lifting the most enormous hat off a man and taking out 2 full Goon Bags (the bags inside boxes of wine).

When we got inside Hyde park we saw 2 of the biggest Beer tents ever, loads of food stalls and a massive live stage. Now.... the acts on stage were traditional Irish acts... I have nothing against the Irish but there is only so many folk songs that a sane person can handle and every band sang their own version of Danny Boy and a one about a Blarney stone, whiskey and a goat!!

I nearly cried when I thought I heard the MC say that Daniel O'Donnell was coming on....... He didn't thank god!!! Must have been the drink!!!!

0 comments: