Friday, 22 August 2008

Is this for real?

Have just had (yet another) one of those moments when I think 'is this for real?'. Was just watching something on TV about a couple of blokes have ridden 18,000 or so miles around the world on motor bikes and were talking about people who worry about 'what if's' and 'maybe's' about such an adventure. It struck me that I'm sitting in the comfort of my own home and am 2 months away from packing it up and moving to literally the other side of the world! Are we mad?

These kinds of thoughts often pop into our minds late at night (as it is now) and we've learned to ignore them, well most of the time, anyway. Leaving all our loved ones behind and packing up our entire lives (which we've only just figured out) to move to the other side of the world isn't something to be done lightly, and when discussing with our families often sounds really blaze (can't find the French widget on the keyboard and it's too late to call Holly!), but you know what I mean. Are we mad? It's Australia, for God's sake. Why upturn something that we have so good?

Hmmm... that's the question - why do this? Part of me says 'Why not?'. The other part of me wants to run for cover and pretend that it was never my idea - who me? Australia? Don't be ridiculous!

So, the part of me that says 'Why not?' - that's the demon that has to be tackled. Everyone says 'what a great opportunity', but I can see behind their eyes that they're thinking we're mad! The journey alone is 24 hours, or so and when we get there, there's a 10 hour time difference - how the hell are we supposed to keep in contact with anyone? I mean, the Australians - they're all criminals! ;-)

So, why are we doing this? I suppose when all's said and done it is really a good opportunity. An opportunity to live a different way; an opportunity to see a different culture; an opportunity to escape for a bit.

I am grateful to all our family and friends that have been so supportive. The support has been easier for some than others. For some they see it as an adventure that they would never have the opportunity to pursue; for others they see it is a risky move that will take us into unknown territory. For those that see the adventure, I thank you for reminding me of the possibilities ahead; for those of you who see the risks and anticipate our absence with foreboding, I thank you for your reserve and brave-face, because at times, we need it more than you are probably aware.....

0 comments: